September 23, 2018 9:00 am – 12:oo pm Rosedale Room, Burke Rehabilitation Center 0.3 CEUs
Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY
Building a Private Practice in Speech-Language Pathology
Presenter: Jena H.Castro-Casbon, MS, CCC-SLP
Course Description: Jena will provide step-by-step descriptions of the stages in starting and building a private practice. Her presentation will focus on business administration aspects of private practice including financial analysis and projection, marketing, and expanding. This course is appropriate for SLPs who are contemplating starting a private practice, and for those private practitioners in mid-career.
Bio Sketch: Jena is a private practice consultant and author who has helped thousands of speech-language pathologists start and grow their own private practices through her company, The Independent Clinician. She has written articles for The ASHA Leader and was a presenter at ASHA Connect (2017). You’ll find her online in the SLP Private Practice Beginners Facebook Group, The Private Practice Solution, and can hear her on The Private Practice Success Stories podcast. Jena lives in Boston, MA and is a wife and mother.
Financial – Disclosure
No relevant financial or nonfinancial relationships exist. Jena will receive an honorarium from WSHLA for her presentation.
Participants will as a result of this seminar be able to:
– Create a basic private practice business plan
– Identify 5 major ways to minimize the legal, financial and personal risks
– Learn how to successfully market a private practice using the FAR Framework
- 9:00 – 9:15 Planning Overview: Private Practice in Speech-Language Pathology
- 9:15 – 9:30 Protecting Your Private Practice
Liability Insurance, Documentation Guidelines, Business Structures, Minimizing Risk
- 9:30-9:45 Projecting Need For Services and Estimating Overhead
- 9:45-10:00 Make Sure You Get Paid – Setting Fees, Private Pay, Insurance Reimbursement, Medicare, Medicaid
- 10:00-10:15 NYDOE Office of the Professions
- 10:15-10:30 Break
Part 2: Marketing
- 10:30-11:45 Marketing Using the FAR Framework• How to Identify The Gaps in Your Marketing (and Formulate a Plan to Address Them) + ACTIVITY
- How to Master Word of Mouth Marketing (Even If No One Is Talking About You Yet)
- Effective Marketing Doesn’t Have to Be Expensive Marketing
- 11:45-12:00 Wrap up and Q and A